Welcome!

Trying to Live a Life that is Full - and sometimes writing about it ad nauseam.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Top O' The Mornin' To Ya!


I loves me some St. Patrick's Day! I don't know what my deal is with embracing these holidays that were not celebrated in my childhood home but St. Patrick's Day and Halloween are two of my favorites. I think the monotony of our lives needs to be broken up by little bits of festivity. So I'm happy to have reasons from many traditions to whoop it up a little.

So throw off your Lenten melancholy - it's time for celebration. (Evidently in Ireland Lent was traditionally suspended on St. Patrick's day.) So, if you gave up chocolate for Lent go ahead and have some chocolate today. Throw back a pint of a green beverage, dance to some Irish jigs, cook up some corned beef and cabbage, find a blarney stone to kiss, and find the Irish in you!

I decided this year for MYF (youth group) we should have a St. Patty's day shindig. Which was all good and fine until I realized I needed some party activities. Not only that, I need party fun that doesn't involve alcohol which seems to be a heavy theme in most of the online research I've done for party ideas. Prizes? Give 'em a pint of Guinness. Missed pinning the shamrock on the leprechaun? Take a wee nip o' the whisky as punishment. Hmmm. So I'm working on some ideas that teenagers won't think are lame. Well, they'll probably be a little lame but I hope every one's a good sport.

The party isn't until tomorrow so if you have great ideas or games you've enjoyed at other St. Patty's Day gatherings, I'd love to hear them. Really. I leave you with this Irish blessing:


May those who love us, love us.
And for those who don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if he can not turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we may know them by their limping.



No comments: