Welcome!

Trying to Live a Life that is Full - and sometimes writing about it ad nauseam.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Lisa - The Mystic

Recently Brian and I had the privilege of attending Winter Youth Retreat (formerly knows as "snow camp") at Amigo Centre in Sturgis, Michigan. The guest speaker and musician for the weekend was Jonathan Reuel (composer of "Waterfall," part of the group JRL, and just an AMAZING musician). It really fed my soul. The theme was finding our dreams during the different seasons of our lives. (And there were serious hippie under-tones present here, and I think we all know how I feel about that.) Jonathan had us briefly examine what we thought our personality types might be using the Meyers Briggs classifications. I predicted what I thought I might, maybe what I wanted to be, and it was interesting. Many simply couldn't believe that I am an introvert. Well, believe it folks.

Then this past Wednesday at MYF we all took an on-line version of the Meyers Briggs. I was wrong about what I thought I was. I am an INFJ. (If you would like to take this test click here.) Fascinating stuff. I immediately came home and googled my personality type. Wow! It turns out that I am a mystic. Most people with ESP or clairvoyant abilities are INFJ personalities. I was really excited to find out about my new abilities. My powers are still in their infancy and I want to be able to use them for good and not for evil, so I need to proceed with caution. But soon after finding this out, I was in the bathroom washing my face and getting ready for bed. I opened the bathroom door and called out to Brian that I was foreseeing that there would be a drink waiting for me in the living room when I got out. Brian came to the door, proclaimed me a dork, and went away. And what do you know? When I came out there was totally a drink waiting for me in the living room! My powers are potent.

Aside from finding out about my new abilities, it was a little unnerving to read my personality type. There were things there that I thought were my own particular quirks that in fact, typify my personality type. The descriptions pretty well had me pegged. I love academia, I hate conflict, I am drawn to clergy and music careers, etc... It's actually given me a lot of insight into who I am and areas for improvement. Mostly though, I think it helped me to see some areas I should feel more confident about, more of the ways I should embrace who I am.

In case you're curious, Brian is an ESTJ. He is a pillar. His personality type is called "The Supervisor." And guess what he is at work. That's right, a supervisor. We go very well together. We're also both Geminis...but I don't trust that personality description quite as much. So if you have some free time and would like to find out who you are, this is definitely some interesting stuff...

1 comment:

The Chandler's said...

Totally why I was a psych major! I love this test and can't remember exactly but I think I am an ENFJ! So much fun and I love your blogs...they make me laugh every time!