Welcome!

Trying to Live a Life that is Full - and sometimes writing about it ad nauseam.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dog Update

Well, I'm happy to report that the tin can of quarters has worked marvels. Reggie finally has learned the walking game pretty well.

He no longer insists on stopping to smell every sign, or flower, or random clump of grass. (He still stops plenty but he knows I'm not going to let him mark the entire trail.)

He no longer poops twice a walk, forcing me to carry around small steaming black bags of grossness.

He knows when I pull the leash in to get on my right side.

He does not bark or lunge at passersby, walkers or bicyclists. Mostly...he's still not fond of the sneak attack (aka bicyclists who come from behind us).

BUT, he is still one big wimp of a dog. I like to walk two miles in just less than a half hour. He way kills my time, what with his panting and falling behind, and looking pathetic, and stopping to catch his breath. I had to stop several times to let him catch up. Then I'd pet him and tell him what a good dog he is (gotta keep the morale up). I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I have seen him chase a frisbee non-stop for an hour. I have seen him chase a four-wheeler at full speed with great tenacity. But go for one pleasant two mile walk and all of a sudden your a frail little old man dog? Will we ever reach the walking utopia that I dream of?

1 comment:

Nate said...

I know the feeling of walking the dog. Sugar is the inquisitive one. She wants to lead and sniff everything. Though I am trying to train her to walk by my side rather than having her run in front. 8)