Welcome!

Trying to Live a Life that is Full - and sometimes writing about it ad nauseam.

Friday, June 11, 2010

A Little Life

You may be wondering what I'm doing with my time now that I'm not going to work every day.  Basically, I've turned very domestic.  I tidy the house.  I mow the lawn.  I read.  I knit.  I go to roller derby practice.  (Okay, the last one's not so domestic.)  When Brian comes home for lunch, I give him a play-by-play recount of the activity at the bird feeders...and then we spend some time cussing about the fact that no humming birds have yet used our feeder.  When did I turn 83?  To borrow a word that my mother-in-law used recently, I'm in danger of becoming a hermit.  I LOVE being at home!  So far, I'm not in the least bit bored.  It may happen.  And if it does I will begin volunteering at the local animal shelter.  And then I will probably end up with a house full of reject animals...and I won't be bored anymore!

In other news, we attended a couple of really lovely graduation open houses recently and there is one thing I look forward to at open houses.  CAKE.  I love cake.  White cake with buttercream frosting.  And those open houses give me the fix I need until the next time I run into cake, perhaps at a wedding or birthday celebration.  (I can't buy it for myself because then I have to admit that I have an addiction.)  We celebrated Brian's and my birthday at my mom and dad's house this weekend.  She made pie.  I love pie...but I wanted cake.  But it was no big deal because we were headed to an open house afterward.  We arrived, my mouth salivating thinking of the tasty treat that would soon assail my tastebuds.  I walked up to the snack table.  NO CAKE.  No big deal.  There would be another open house a few days later.  We arrived...to find an ice-cream machine and NO CAKE!  I ask you, what is the point of ice cream without cake?  What has this world come to when one can in good conscience throw a party and NOT HAVE CAKE?  This is not a world I want to live in.  I did not have ice cream.  I didn't have the heart to.  Epic failure northern Indiana.  Epic failure.  If this is the new trend I shall boycott all birthdays, weddings, baby showers, and open houses until things are put right again.

I also thought you might enjoy the following conversation between Brian and myself.  Just a little random fun.

Brian: Smell my thumb.
Lisa: (Recoiling in horror...because who does that unless said finger smells awful?) NO!
Brian: Smell my thumb!
Lisa: Get it away from me!
Brian: Just do it!
Lisa: NO! Just tell me what it smells like.
Brian: Just smell it.
Lisa: Uh-uh. 
Brian: It smells good.
Lisa: (Finally smells stupid thumb.)  It does smell good.  Why does it smell so good?
Brian: Because I scratched my armpit.

Hope you all have a good weekend!!!

3 comments:

Linda said...

You two are just too weird for words.

Kelly W. - aka "Pippercat" said...

OMG! Your stories just crack me up! I'm right there with you on the cake issue though... WHO has a party and doesn't have CAKE!!?? Maybe we'll have to get a cake - a really good white cake with really good buttercream frosting - for our next knit-in... :-)

The Chandler's said...

I agree with Linda! :) BUT I also haven't read blogs forever and like always, you never fail to disappoint me with your humor and wit...