Welcome!

Trying to Live a Life that is Full - and sometimes writing about it ad nauseam.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Brian's Point of View

I just find this sort of amusing.

Brian went to San Diego a few weeks ago for work. I was very jealous because I've heard it's absolutely lovely there. He was staying right by the ocean and was working on a screen for an international film festival. (Whatever, fancy-pants.)

So he called me one night and I was all questions and curiosity about what it was like out there. But Brian isn't really known for being overly observant or capable of wonderfully descriptive word paintings. (Honestly, he can be on the phone with someone for an hour and when I ask, "what'd you guys talk about?" he responds, "um, nothing really." Really?!? Because it took an hour and that's a long time to not say anything. This has made me into a phone stalker. I follow him around while he's on the phone - because he's a phone wanderer - seeing as it's the only way I'll be able to glean any information on what went down in the conversation. As much as I hate the phone, I still want to know what happens on it.) So here we were on the phone and Brian doesn't have a single thing to say about his surroundings. So I decided to make it easy for him. I made a request: "Describe to me in four words the area that you are in." He didn't tell me to get lost, or quit being stupid (which I love, because he doesn't try to argue with my quirkiness). He went completely silent as he pondered. And then he said:

"There's a lot of Adobe."
(Yes, technically five words.)

Really? That's the best you could come up with? So I made fun of him for a while. (Wouldn't you?) Honestly I don't know what I was expecting. Something profound maybe about the untamed beauty of the ocean or the beach. Perhaps something about the landscape or the street culture. I guess I just wasn't expecting to hear about the local construction materials. But I suppose that's just how Brian takes in the world. Funny man.

No comments: