Welcome!

Trying to Live a Life that is Full - and sometimes writing about it ad nauseam.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

No Pain No Gain

I've decided to train for a 5-K again, which is crazy and not really any fun. But I figure I should make some sort of attempt at healthfulness and this is cheap. Also, I have a great running companion, Felicia, and I would not be doing this without her.

I did this two years ago with some friends in Nappanee and ran the 5-K at the Michiana Mennonite Relief Sale. It was the year I turned 30 and it was a major accomplishment for me. It was amazing!

And then I stopped running. A fact that I could just kick myself over and over for. (I couldn't keep driving 30 minutes one-way to run with friends and goodness knows I don't have the will-power to do it on my own.)

But now I'm running again. And as much as I'm not a morning person (I get up and go run early) I sort of look forward to it. As I trained in Nappanee and now running with Felicia, I have come to cherish these early morning runs with friends. You share a goal with others, you chat (when you can breathe), you check in with each other several times a week...not to mention, the bonus of feeling healthier. While I hate the running - I like all it brings.

This morning though was especially taxing. We hit a new routine this week, run 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, run 5 minutes, walk 2.5 minutes, and repeat. Holy Pete, it was HARD. I felt shell-shocked for 45 minutes after we were done. As we were running our final 5-minute section Felicia wheezed out, "Getting in shape is hard. No wonder people eat cheeseburgers and sit on the couch all day. It's so much easier." I couldn't agree more. This is crap. Why, if we're supposed to exercise, does it have to SUCK SO MUCH? But I suppose we'll just keep plugging away...and won't have to feel so guilty next time we eat that delicious cheeseburger.

2 comments:

Deeb said...

Ack! I hear you!!! Who really wants to exercise?

Nate said...

I do!! Though I don't like running either. I going to commute to work by bike!!