Welcome!

Trying to Live a Life that is Full - and sometimes writing about it ad nauseam.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Face to Face with Mortality

Three viewings in two weeks. This is the most concentrated season of mourning that I think I've ever been part of. All of them tragedies. They weren't the kind where Great Aunt Millie was 98 and had lived a full life and died peacefully in her sleep. All were cases of the deceased being gone, seemingly, too soon.

The first, a 55 year old man who passed away due to a medication error that occurred in the early and darkest hours of the morning. (The nurse administered insulin to a non-diabetic.) After a week in a coma, he passed away.

The second, a 72 year old man who had battled illness the last several years. His quality of life was quite poor and his golden retirement years were not what he and his wife had dreamed of.

The final, a 40 year old man who tragically succumbed to depression. There are no words for this one. This one is unspeakably painful for his family and friends.

But these viewings have been places where I have seen the best that humanity can be in many ways. I have seen moments of forgiveness and reconciliation. I have seen friends reunite over tragedy. I have glimpsed both vulnerable and sentimental moments taking place. These last two weeks have opened my eyes to the value of viewings. I guess I've always wondered what the point of a viewing really is. I suppose they are just rites that humans need to process sorrow, to offer comfort, to allow us to realize that we are part of a large community of humanity. And I need to be more willing to attend them.

So, tomorrow morning I head to another funeral where I give the only thing I can really offer of any value in situations like this - music. I only hope that my piano playing can speak to the sorrow that my words can not address, and offer comfort.

1 comment:

Linda said...

What a week for you! Sharing your gift of music must be a very positive thing during a dark time, for both you and the families involved.